Channa’s collaboration with prize-winning guitarist Izhar Elias has been described by the international press as “glorious”. Their debut album Songs of Love and Exile (Brilliant Classics, 2019) was inspired by their shared Jewish heritage and family histories. It was awarded 4 stars by De Volkskrant, and was featured on the well-known classical music website Slipped Disc.
They performed the accompanying programme in some of the main concert venues in the Netherlands, such as the Dutch National Opera, Stadsgehoorzaal Leiden and Noorderkerk Amsterdam. They appear regularly on Dutch national radio and tv, most recently on Podium Witteman, the Netherlands’ main tv programme for classical music, jazz and world music. For the 2020/21 season, performances are planned at Hofjesfestival Leiden and CityProms Leeuwarden, among others.
Their varied concert programmes contain a strong element of storytelling, and seek the intersection between classical art song and folk music. Audience favorites such as De Falla’s Siete canciones popolares Españolas are combined with lesser known gems that deserve to be discovered. Some examples of their wide-ranging repertoire, which can be combined into various different programmes:
• Traditional Sephardic melodies in Duo Malkin-Elias’ own arrangements and settings by contemporary composersv
• Spanish folk songs by Manuel de Falla and Federico Garcia Lorcav
• Italian and Spanish 17th-century ‘pop songs’ by Domenico Obizzi and José Marinv
• The Divan of Moses Ibn-Ezra, a song cycle by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedescov
• Psalms of Life, a song cycle by Lowell Dykstra, composed especially for Duo Malkin-Elias and still looking for a world premiere!